After the stunning turn of events that saw him turn himself in yesterday, George Zimmerman today made his first court appearance in Thursday in Sanford, Fla.
Zimmerman, who is charged with second-degree murder in the shooting of teenager Trayvon Martin, was ordered to be held pending formal arraignment.
Judge Mark E. Herr, appearing via closed-circuit TV link, set arraignment on the charge for May 29 in Circuit Court and referred all matters, including a plea and bail, to the higher jurisdiction.
Zimmerman, who was sporting a beard and mustache, showed no emotion as he answered “yes sir” to routine questions.
He did not enter a plea and his attorney did not request bond. His formal arraignment is scheduled for May 29.
“He is concerned about getting a fair trial and a fair presentation,” his attorney, Mark O’Mara told a television show. “He is a client who has a lot of hatred focused on him. I’m hoping the hatred settles down … he has the right to his own safety and the case being tried before a judge and jury.”
Speaking Thursday on NBC’s “Today” show, O’Mara said Zimmerman is stressed and very tired.
It also is being reported that Zimmerman was so upset last night, he was weeping for part of the night in his cell.
There was no sign of scarring on the back of his head and the booking photo shows no indication that his nose had been broken in his confrontation with Martin, as Zimmerman’s former legal team had claimed.